The mandate of the Panel of Experts on Automobile Insurance Contributions (the Panel of Experts) is to review the approach taken and check the data used in support of the regulatory amendments to insurance contributions proposed by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). The Panel of Experts must also hold a public consultation on the subject of the amendments and must publish a notice informing the public of the consultation in the Gazette officielle du Québec and in at least one French-language and one English-language daily newspaper of its choosing.
Within the scope of its mandate, the
Panel of Experts must:
- evaluate the rating criteria for insurance contributions adopted by the SAAQ and ascertain that they correspond, in particular, to the principles of self-financing of the plan, of indemnification by road vehicle users, of equity and of administrative feasibility;
- confirm the total expenditure the SAAQ considers necessary to cover the costs of the indemnities resulting from accidents that occur during the period for which the insurance contributions are fixed and all the other costs borne by the Fonds d'assurance automobile du Québec for that period;
- assess the measures taken to promote accident prevention
and highway safety in order to reduce the risks associated
- consider the risks inherent in each class of insured road users and the equity to be maintained between classes of insured road users;
- ensure that the insurance contributions are fair and
- consider the financing policy of the SAAQ, the actuarial
forecasts, the valuation of the actuarial liability and,
where applicable, the need for recapitalization in the event
of insufficient assets;
- consider the quality of the service provided to insured road users by the SAAQ and any changes made to the automobile insurance plan; and
- consider the economic and social concerns indicated by the
SAAQ and the public.
The mandate of the Panel of Experts is established under sections 17.6 and 17.7 of the Act respecting the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (CQLR, c. S-11.011).
The Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec has proposed new insurance contributions for the years 2019 to 2021 in a discussion document entitled Les contributions d’assurance proposées pour 2019-2021. This document was published on December 13, 2017. The English translation, entitled Proposed Insurance Contributions for 2019-2021, will be available at the end of December.