The mandate of the Panel of Experts on Automobile Insurance Contributions (Panel of Experts) was to review the approach taken by the
Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) to determine the insurance contributions for 2022 through 2024
and check the data used in support of the regulatory amendments contemplated by the SAAQ. The Panel of Experts was also required to hold a public consultation on the subject of these amendments and to publish a notice informing the public of the
consultation in the Gazette officielle du Québec and in at least one French-language and one
English-language daily newspaper of its choosing.
More specifically, the Panel of Experts was mandated to:
- evaluate the rating criteria for insurance contributions adopted by the SAAQ and ascertain that they correspond, in particular, to the principles of self-financing of the plan, of equity, of administrative feasibility and of indemnification by road vehicle users and by operators of systems of remunerated passenger transportation by automobile;
- confirm the total expenditure the SAAQ considers necessary to cover the costs of the indemnities resulting from
accidents that occur during the period for which the insurance contributions are fixed and all the other costs
borne by the Fonds d'assurance automobile du Québec for that period;
- assess the measures taken to promote accident prevention and road safety in order to reduce the risks
associated with driving;
- consider the risks inherent in each class of insured road users and the equity to be maintained between classes
of insured road users;
- ensure that the insurance contributions are fair and reasonable;
- consider the financing policy of the SAAQ, the actuarial forecasts, the valuation of the actuarial liability
and, where applicable, the need for recapitalization in the event of insufficient assets;
- consider the quality of the service provided to insured road users by the SAAQ and any changes made to the
automobile insurance plan; and
- consider the economic and social concerns indicated by the SAAQ and the public.
The mandate of the Panel of Experts is established under sections 17.6 and 17.7 of the Act respecting the
Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (CQLR, c. S-11.011).