The mandate of the Panel of Experts on Automobile Insurance Contributions was to review the approach taken and check the data used in support of the insurance contributions for 2019 through 2021 proposed by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). The Panel of Experts was also required to hold a public consultation on the subject of the amendments and to publish a notice informing the public of the consultation in the
Gazette officielle du Québec and in at least one French-language and one English-language daily
newspaper of its choosing.
The Panel of Experts was mandated to:
- evaluate the rating criteria for insurance contributions adopted by the SAAQ and ascertain that they
correspond, in particular, to the principles of self-financing of the plan, of indemnification
by road vehicle users, of equity and of administrative feasibility;
- confirm the total expenditure the SAAQ considers necessary to cover the costs of the indemnities
resulting from accidents that occur during the period for which the insurance contributions are
fixed and all the other costs borne by the Fonds d'assurance automobile du Québec for that period;
- assess the measures taken to promote accident prevention and highway safety in order to reduce the
risks associated with driving;
- consider the risks inherent in each class of insured road users and the equity to be maintained between
classes of insured road users;
- ensure that the insurance contributions are fair and reasonable;
- consider the financing policy of the SAAQ, the actuarial forecasts, the valuation of the actuarial
liability and, where applicable, the need for recapitalization in the event of insufficient assets;
- consider the quality of the service provided to insured road users by the SAAQ and any changes made
to the automobile insurance plan; and
- consider the economic and social concerns indicated by the SAAQ and the public.
The mandate of the Panel of Experts is established under sections 17.6 and 17.7 of the
Act respecting the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
(CQLR, c. S-11.011).